Artist/Studio: E. R. Suffling & Co, Edgeware, London, c. 1886.
Location: Low Head, Tasmania, Australia.
Building: St Paul’s Chapel, Low Head (formerly in St Paul’s, Launceston, demolished c.1975)
Memorial: Not specified. Donated by the Cleveland family,
Photos dated: Trevor Bunning May 2011.
This window was made by E. R. Suffling of London and was originally erected in St Paul’s Church, Launceston in 1886. St Paul’s was demolished in 1975 to make way for the Launceston General Hospital and this window was subsequently installed in St Paul’s Chapel at Low Head built in 1980. The Chapel is now part of the Ainslie House aged care complex.
Photos by Gavin Merrington of “Original Stained Glass,” South Hobart, Tasmania; 19th August 2014.
“ST. PAUL’S CHURCH.- A fortnight ago we mentioned that a new stained glass window had been given by an old family of St. Paul’s parishioners, to be placed in the east end [sic] of that church, and that it had arrived in Launceston from London by the ss. Gulf of Mexico. During the past week the window has been placed in position by Mr. J. Howard, of George street, and yesterday morning it was unveiled, and caused a very great deal of attraction as well as admiration to those who saw it, it being undoubtedly the best piece of stained glass work Launceston. The window, which represents the Crucifixion, is from the well-known firm of Messrs. E. R. Suffling and Co., of Edgeware, London, and is a worthy specimen of that firm’s work. The window is divided into three parts, the middle of the centre one representing Jesus on the cross, while below is an angel, and above three other angels with outspread wings, as well as a sponge on the end of a spear, and the column of the cross to which he was bound. In the other two parts of the window are two figures, one of the Virgin Mary and the other of St. John the Apostle. Above the former is a crown of thorns, as well as other suitable symbols. The figures are all very impressive, while the colours are harmoniously blended, and the window adds much to the beauty of the church. Yesterday, at the morning service, the Rev. A. Barkway preached an appropriate sermon (when the window was seen publicly for the first time), taking as his text St. John i., 29 – “Behold the lamb of God, which taketh away the sins of the world.” The rev. gentleman first alluded to how the window beautified the church, and the welcome addition was thereto, after which he spoke in eulogistic terms of those who had so generously given the other three windows, which had already been placed in the church. On the present occasion, he said, he knew full well that the fewest words he could use with respect to the beautiful window opposite him would be the most agreeable to the donors. Suffice to say it was placed there by those who were formerly worshippers in the church as a devout offering to the triune God – the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost – and in loving and affectionate memory of beloved parents, who in years gone by took and active interest in all that concerned the well-being, both temporal and spiritual, of he parish of St. Paul’s, and who, although separated from it by removal to another colony, never ceased to cherish a loving regard for it. They to whose memory the beautiful tribute was raised had been called to their rest – their rest, he hoped, amongst the blest souls in Paradise – and the window was dedicated as a gift to god out of love to them, and he was sure that the silent utterances of their hearts at the throne of grace would be that God in His love would enrich them with light, peace, and spiritual refreshment, and also abundantly bless in time and eternity those who had beautified the church with such a loving memorial. The window firstly taught them that God careth for them, and secondly the lesson of love and devotion to the divine sin-bearer. In conclusion he pointed out that the window of the chancel responded to the one which had just been added to the church, for in the latter they had the picture of the sin-bearer, and in the former its intended blessed results, in Him who was the Good Shepherd, the Light of the World, and the Way, the Truth, and the Life. In order to make a clear space for the window the organ has been removed from the lower end of the church to its former position in front of the sanctuary, and an appreciable improvement in the sound of the instrument as well as of the singing has thereby been effected.”
“The Anglican Parish of St Paul’s was officially created and opened on 15 October 1854. Prior to this it was part of the Parish of St John’s, Launceston. It comprised the church of St Paul’s in Cleveland Street. On 5 October 1975 the final service was conducted in the church prior to its demolition to make way for redevelopment of the Launceston General Hospital on the church site. The demolition was agreed upon only if the hospital recycled the building as much as possible. Much of the fabric and contents of the St Paul’s church went to Low Head and were used in the construction of St Paul’s Chapel by the Sea, an interdenominational church which by c. 2000 was incorporated into the Ainslie House Aged Care Complex at Low Head. The chapel built at the redevelopment of the Launceston General Hospital was named St Paul’s chapel”.
The oldest historical stained glass windows from St Paul’s were created by the Ferguson & Urie company of North Melbourne and can be seen <here>.