Artist/Studio: Van der Poorten, Brussels, Belgium, 1876 & 1877.
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
Building: Scots’ Church, Collins Street, Melbourne.
Donor: Members of the Congregation.
Photos dated: 12/12/2010.
“The Scots Church in Collins-street has been further beautified by the addition of seven very handsome new stained glass windows, the manufacture of Messrs. Van der Porten and Sons, of Brussells. Three of the windows occupy spaces behind the pulpit, from whence they will be seen by all the members of the congregation. They represent figures of Faith, Hope, and Charity, and suitable texts of Scripture are inserted under each. The other four windows, which are fixed in the sides of the east and west transepts, respectfully represent Christ teaching His disciples to be humble, even as a little child; Christ driving the money-changers out of the temple; Christ disputing with the doctors; and Christ on the way to crucifixion, bearing His cross. The windows are executed in a highly artistic manner, and the framework by which they ate fastened in has been so arranged that it does not cross any important parts of the features or dresses of the figures. They are memorial windows, presented by various members of the congregation. The work of placing them in position has been creditably done by Mr. R. T. Thorpe, plumber and glazier, of Little Collins-street east.”