Artist/Studio: Mathieson & Gibson, Melbourne, Australia, c. 1936.
(this window is signed by Mathieson & Gibson)
Location: Camberwell, Victoria, Australia.
Building: Trinity Presbyterian Church.
Memorial: Rev. Patrick John Murdoch.
Donor: Murdoch’s Children.
Photos dated: 7th November 2010.
“REV. P. J. MURDOCH’S MINISTRY
Memorial Window Dedicated.
The Ministry of the Rev. P. J. Murdoch received fitting tributes at Trinity Presbyterian Church Camberwell yesterday when a three-light window was dedicated by the Moderator-General the Right Rev Dr. John Mackenzie. The window was presented by Mr. Murdoch’s children to commemorate his services to the Church, with which he was associated for 41 years as minister and for eight years as minister-emeritus. It was unveiled by Mr. H. R. Taverner, who has been member, manager, elder, and sessions clerk in the last 51 years. The window portrays Christ’s Sermon on the Mount. Those present in the large congregation at the service included the Rev. Rev. P. J. and Mrs. Murdoch, Sir Keith and Lady Murdoch, Miss Helen Murdoch, Mr. Oldham, M.L.A., councillors Gray, M.L.A., and the Mayor and councillors of Camberwell. The solo at the service was sung by Miss Wilma Berkley, of London.”
“ERECTED WITH LOVE AND THANKSGIVING BY HIS CHILDREN TO MARK THE LIFE AND WORK OF THE REV PATRICK JOHN MURDOCH M.A A DEVOTED SERVANT OF CHRISTS CHURCH THROUGH A LONG LIFE HE WAS THE BELOVED MINISTER OF THE CONGREGATION FOR 41 YEARS”
Window is signed “Mathieson & Gibson” in the lower right light.
Six months earlier, in February 1936, another three light memorial window was also dedicated to the Rev Murdoch, but that window originally came from the original West Melbourne Presbyterian Church before it was demolished and re-erected as St Andrew’s at Box Hill. The window was one of fourteen three light windows that were installed in the Nave of the West Melbourne Church, all of which were made by the famous Colonial Victorian Stained Glass firm of Ferguson & Urie in 1867.