Artist/Studio: Burlison & Grylls, London, c.1874.
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.
Building: St David’s Cathedral, Hobart.
Memorial: Sir Richard Dry.
Photos dated: 7th October 2010 & 12th August 2012.
THE NEW WINDOW IN ST. DAVID’S CATHEDRAL.
– It will be remembered that the public memorial to the late Sir Richard Dry, took three forms – the building of the chancel of the Hagley Church, the founding of a scholarship to be held by the senior Associate of Arts each year, and the erection of a stained glass window in the New Cathedral. The window has been the last of these three objects to be completed. It arrived a few weeks ago aboard the “Ziba,” and is now in its place in the north transept of the Cathedral. In order to enter into the design of this window it will be necessary to remember that all the stained glass windows in the Cathedral form one connected series of subjects. The Ashurst window at the end of the north aisle is the first of the series. In it is represented the fall, the death of Abel, and the building of the Ark. The windows in the north aisle are filled with figures of patriarchs, kings, priests, and prophets, from Moses to Malachi. In the north transept we are lead on to scenes and characters connected with the new covenant. The windows in the chancel, when it is built, will be filled with figures of the apostles and saints of the New Testament, while those in the south aisle windows represent saints of later times, viz., Sts. David, Augustine, and Gregory; Sts. Stephen, Alban and Lawrence, Sts. Anne, Magdalene, and Helena. The subject of the large west window has not yet been determined. Thus it will be seen that the whole series of windows leads the mind on from the Fall through scenes of Jewish history to the events connected with the earliest days and the later times of the Christian Church. The centre of the whole series will be the great east window of the future chancel – fifty-three feet back from the present chancel arch – representing the Crucifixion, and the chief events in the life of our Blessed Saviour. The “Dry Window” marks the transition from the Jewish to the Christian Dispensations. In the lower compartments are represented “The Salutation,” addressed by St. Elizabeth to the Blessed Virgin; “the Rosentatore,” and our Lord in the temple with the Jewish doctors. In the central compartment above is a very striking representation of the Saviour in His mother’s arms, and on each side, in the side compartments, is a beautiful figure of an angel, offering adoration to the infants Redeemer. Above these figures there are other angels bearing scrolls, whereon are inscribed the opening words of the Magnificat. Altogether, this window may be considered to be the most beautiful one in the Cathedral. Its whole tone is subdued in character, but the colours, where they occur, are extremely rich. It is intended to place beneath the window a memorial brass, setting forth the affectionate esteem in which Sir Richard Dry was held, and the manner in which his memory is cherished by all Tasmanians. The window, as in the case with all the stained windows in the Cathedral, is from the design of the architect, Mr. G. F. Bodley, and is the work of Messrs. Burlison and Greyths, [sic] of Newman-street, London. The whole cost of the glass is £150.
Related posts: 3-09-1872: St David’s Cathedral, Hobart, Tasmania