Artist/Studio: Burton of Brooks Robinson & Co, Chester Earles, and Edmund George Ovey, 1884.
Location: Hawkesburn-South Yarra, Victoria, Australia.
Building: St Martin’s Anglican Church, Hawkesburn.
Memorial: First vicar of St Martin’s, Rev. W. K. Brodribb.
Donor: Mrs Brodribb.
Photos dated: 25th March 2012.
The liturgical east three light window at St Martin’s was unveiled at Easter in 1884 at a cost of £230. The instigation for the window came from the minister of St Martin’s, the Rev William Kennedy Brodribb (1847-1896) and was donated by Mrs Brodribb. It’s design and execution was a collaboration of three people, being;
Chester Earles (1821-1905), who was at that time the president of the Victorian Society of Arts. He produced the cartoons for the window which were exhibited in a marquee on the grounds of St Martin’s on the 6th Sept 1883, the day the foundation stone was laid.
Edmund George Ovey (1850-1936), the architect of the church and “Ornamentist”, and;
William Edward Burton” (c.1847- 9 Aug 1916), who at that time was principal stained glass artist at the Brooks, Robinson & Co, Melbourne and the window was also executed at the company’s Melbourne premises.
“S. MARTIN’S CHURCH HAWKESBURN”
“In a recent issue of this journal we stated we would give a description of the very handsome stained-glass window which has been inserted in the large eastern opening of S. Martin’s Church, Hawkesburn, and which is one of the largest stained-glass windows in the colony. The description of the window is as follows:- The height is 15 feet 3 inches and width 10 feet, and the stone mullions and tracery are executed in the early English style of Gothic architecture. It is formed in three windows. The centre one contains the figures of our Lord on the Cross and The Virgin and S. John; the northern light shows S. Martin as a Roman soldier, who was Bishop of Touro, in France, during the fourth century (after whom the Church is named), S. Eanswith, an Anglo-saxon princess and abbess daughter of Eadbald, King of Kent, seventh century; and S. Augustine the first Archbishop of Canterbury, sixth century; the southern light portrays S. Stephen, the first Christian martyre, thirteenth century; S. Louis, King of France, who died as a crusader in the Holy wars, he is represented as a pilgrim; and S. Alphege, Archbishop of Canterbury, martyred by the Danes during the twelfth century. The base contains the seven emblems of martyrdom, and in the tracery is the descending dove in a cloud of light. The background shows the sky, stars, and ministering angels; whilst the background of the central opening indicates the glory of the Saviour. The whole window forms an allegorical picture of the different periods of the Christian Church, and is a conception by the Rev. W. K. Brodribb, the vicar of S. Martin’s. That this window is really a work of art of no ordinary calibre will be undertood when we mention that it has been the joint work of three recognised artists, viz., Mr Chester Earles, president of the Victorian Society of Arts; Mr Burton, principal artist to the firm of Brooks, Robinson and Co; and our well known citizen, Mr E. G. Ovey, architect and ornamentist. The whole is indeed a masterpiece, and reflects great credit on the gentlemen to whom its erection and design was entrusted. It is well worthy of inspection, having been manufactured in Melbourne. The cost has been £230, and the window has been presented to the church by Mrs Brodribb, of Sydney. On the south wall is a brass tablet, suitably engraved, with this inscription:- “In thankfulness to God for many mercies received, the east window of this Church was erected by an attached relative of the first vicar of S. Martin’s, Easter, 1884.”
“SOUTH YARRA.- The ceremony of laying the foundation-stone of St. Martin’s Church, near the Hawksburn railway station, was conducted by Sir William J. Clarke and the Dean of Melbourne, assisted by the Rev. Horace Tucker, of Christ Church, on Thursday 6th September, in the presence of a large assemblage. Some disappointment was experienced at the absence of Lady Clarke, who was prevented from attending in consequence of a slight indisposition. Sir William J. Clarke, however, discharged the responsibility of declaring the stone well and truly laid in a satisfactory manner. The building is designed to seat 1200 people, and is to be in the early English Gothic Style, carried out in dark brick with Waurn Ponds stone dressings, and will, when completed, cost £12,000. The proposed church comprises knave, transepts, chancel, and aisles, clergy and choir vestries, organ space, and committee-room; the school rooms are arranged at the rear. There is also to be a handsome tower and spire about 145 feet high. The present contract is for the chancel, which is 50 feet by 32 feet, and will, with the main chancel window, presented by Mrs. Brodribb, and fittings, cost about £1500. The drawing for the stained-glass window, which will cost £200, has been made by Mr. Chester Earles, artist. A parsonage is to be built in connection with the church, and the contract for the work, which will cost about £1800, has been let. The promoters of the movement expect to be sufficiently advanced with the work to allow of the church being opened for public worship about November next. After the laying of the stone, short addresses were delivered by the Dean of Melbourne and by Sir William J. Clarke, who made a donation of £20 to the church. The following is a copy of the scroll placed in the casket:- “St. Martin’s Church of England, Hawkesburn. The foundation stone of this Church, dedicated to the glory of God in the name of St. Martin, was laid by Lady Clarke, of Rupertswood, Sunbury, on the 6th day of September, in the year of Our Lord 1883. Incumbent, the Rev. Horace Tucker; incumbent designate, Rev. W. K. Brodribb; hon. trustees, J. M. Symonds and T. B. Muntz, C.E.; treasurer, J. W. Tod; hon. secretary, C. P. Willan; committee, J. W. Tod, H. Jeffreson, E. Philpot, J. T. Macartney, E. G. Ovey, J. H. Bird, W. C. Meade, C. J. Lucas, J. Davidson; bishop, the right Rev. J. Moorehouse. Edmund Geo. Ovey, architect. Francis Wilson Beaver, builder. Victoria Regina.” The proceedings then terminated with a prayer.”
Short link to this page: http://wp.me/p2yCYO-ow