Artist/Studio: Brooks, Robinson & Co, Melbourne, c.1914.
Location: Lower Sandy Bay, Tasmania, Australia.
Building: St Stephen’s, Lower Sandy Bay.
Memorial: George Patten Adams. Died 22nd June 1913.
Conservation: Gavin Merrington, ‘Original Stained Glass’, South Hobart, 2012.
Photos dated: July 2012.
Unfortunately the natural lighting for the time of day the photos were taken has accentuated the outer wire protection mesh through the glass.
“At the morning service in St. Stephen’s Anglican Church, Lower Sandy Bay, a memorial window to the late Mr. G. Patten Adams, who, with the late Mrs. Patten Adams, was identified with the church from the time of its erection, was dedicated. Mr. Patten Adams had been churchwarden for very many years. The window is of stained glass, beautifully coloured, the subject being St. Augustine of Hippo, one of the early missionary bishops of the church. The cost of the window was subscribed for by residents and friends, and was supplied by Messrs. Brooks, Robinson and Co., of Melbourne, and fixed by Messrs. Valentine and Creese. The dedication service was conducted by the Ven. Archdeacon Whittington, who preached from the words, “In Thy light shall we see light” (Psalm 1vi.9). A similar window had been previously subscribed and erected in memory of the late Mrs. Patten Adams. It may be added that a brass tablet has recently been put up in this church in memory of the late Mr. and Mrs. C. O. Abbot, who were earnest workers in the parish for many years”.
“ADAMS.- On June 22, 1913, at his residence, Beaufront, Lower Sandy Bay, George Patten Adams, in his 80th year. Funeral will take place on Tuesday, the 24th inst., leaving Beaufront at 2 p.m., and arriving at Cornellian Bay Cemetery at 3.15.”
George Patten Adams (1833-1913) was Registrar and Collector of Stamp Duties for the Supreme Court Tasmania. He married Elizabeth Alice Dobson (1843-1906) at St. John’s Church Hobart on the 5th September 1868.
A window was later erected to the memory of his wife Elizabeth in 1906 and was made by stained glass artist Auguste Fischer. Conservation on this window was done by Gavin Merrington in 2012.