Some of the Stained Glass Artists and Studios featured on this site.
Ashwin: Ashwin & Falconer, F. Ashwin & Co.
Also see Falconer, John.
Bell, Alfred (1832-1895)
Brooks, Robinson & Co.
“Brooks, Robinson & Co. began in 1854 as import agents, dealing in window and table glass and interior-decorating supplies. They later moved into commercial glazing, particularly shopfronts, but did not produce stained-glass windows until the 1880s. Their big opportunity came in the 1890s when they were engaged to install St Paul’s Cathedral’s great cycle of stained-glass windows, made by Clayton & Bell in London. Their stained-glass studio flourished, and after the closure of Ferguson & Urie attained a dominant position in the trade. Almost all the Australian glass artists of the early 20th century passed through their studio. Their work is represented in the Princess Theatre and St John’s, Toorak. However, the stained-glass studio closed after Brooks Robinson was taken over by Email Pty Ltd in 1963”.
Burlison & Grylls, London, England:
Founded in 1868 by John Burlison (1843–91) and Thomas Grylls (1845–1913) who had trained in the studios of Clayton and Bell.
Clayton & Bell (estab 1855-1993)
Clutterbuck: Charles Clutterbuck, London, England:
Charles Clutterbuck (1806-1861), stained glass artist of Stratford, East London. Originally a painter of miniatures and exhibited paintings at the Royal Academy. He began stained glass work in the 1840s.His son Charles Edmund Clutterbuck Jnr. (1839-1883) carried on his father’s business until 1882.
Earley & Co. Dublin, Ireland.
“Messrs. Earley and Powells beg to announce that Messrs. John Hardman and Co. of No. 1, Upper Camden Street have resigned the business of Artists, Sculptors, Church Painters and Metal Workers, in their favour. Earley and Powells have added to the above mentioned business the Painting and Staining of Windows for ecclesiastical and domestic buildings, under the management of Mr. Henry Powell, who conducted the Stained Glass Department of J.H. and Co., Birmingham for many years. Mr Thomas Earley is the only Church Decorator living who was taught his profession by the late A. Welby Pugin. E. and P. being thoroughly practical men in each Department, are enabled to supply real artistic work at a moderate cost. They, therefore respectfully solicit the patronage of the clergy and gentry of Ireland. Camden Street Works, Dublin.” As advertised in The Dublin Builder, Jan. 15th 1865. Same advert appeared again in the Irish Builder in 1871 and 1881″.
Falconer, John (Falconer & Ashwin)
“The first professional stained glass artist in Sydney was John Falconer from Glasgow, who opened a studio in Pitt Street in 1863. By 1875 he was joined by Frederick Ashwin from Birmingham.”
Source: Beverley Sherry, web site – Dictionery of Sydney: http://dictionaryofsydney.org/entry/stained_glass
Ferguson & Papas
John Reginald Ferguson (1923-2010) and Nick Papas.
John Ferguson and Nick Papas served together in the Army in 1943 and both were students at RMIT in 1946. In 1948 Ferguson married Nick’s sister Mary and he later worked for the Brooks, Robinson & Co stained glass company in Melbourne. In 1952 Papas also joined the firm as a glass painter. In 1955 they decided to go into business as stained glass designers and makers and worked from Ferguson’s home at East Malvern.
This firm is arguably the oldest commercial stained glass company in the history of Colonial Australia.
They began as Plumbers, Slaters & Glaziers in Curzon Street North Melbourne in 1853.
Fouracre & Watson
This company was started by John Thomas Fouracre and Henry Watson circa 1872 and operated from premises at 28 Chapel Street, Plymouth, Devonshire, next to Fouracre & Sons decorators and plumbers. Their work appears to be predominantly in England but they showed their stained glass at the Melbourne International Exhibition of 1881, where the company was listed in the Fourth Order of Merit in the awards among other English, Australian and German firms. A rare window by this firm, circa 1884, is located at St John’s Anglican Church at Toorak, Victoria.
Hardman & Co, Birmingham, England.
Kempe: Charles Eamer Kempe; C.E. Kempe & Co.
Charles Eamer Kempe (1837-1907) established his own studio in London, 1866, a golden Wheat sheaf was used as the firms emblem. When Kempe died, the firm was passed to his nephew Walter Tower, after which the firm was known as C.E. Kempe & Co. Ltd and a black tower was added to the wheat sheaf emblem. The firm closed in 1934.
Mayer: Franz Mayer & Co, Munich, Germany.
Mathieson & Gibson.
(no detail as yet)
Born 1850 at Newcastle-on-Tyne. He studied at the South Kensington Arts School. He was later in the employ of the stained glass firm of Clayton & Bell in London and later was as a designer with Mayer & Co in Munich. He migrated to Australia in 1886 and set up his own studio at 67 Flinders street Melbourne. He was president of the Victorian Artists Society and a Trustee of the Public Library and National Gallery. He died at his home at 81 Lisson Grove, Hawthorn, on the 5th July 1927 and was buried at the Burwood Cemetery.
For a comprehensive biography and website dedicated to William Montgomery, see Dr. Bronwyn Hughe’s WordPress posts <here>
O’Connor: Michael O’Connor Arthur O’Connor.
Michael and Arthur O’Connor: http://stainedglass.llgc.org.uk/person/151
Firm producing stained glass. Michael O’Connor (1801-67) was a native of Dublin, and worked as a heraldic painter. He moved first to Bristol, and subsequently to London in 1845, where he sustained a successful business. He was a pupil of Thomas Willement, and also collaborated with A.W.N. Pugin. Prominent among his windows are those for St Saviour’s, Leeds. His work was shown at the Great Exhibition, 1851.
Arthur O’Connor (1826-73) was one of his sons, who became his partner in the firm at about that date. Another son, William Henry, joined the firm in the 1860s, as did William George Taylor (born 1822) in 1873. Taylor subsequently led the firm from 1877 as Taylor & O’Connor and then Taylor & Clifton, continuing into the early twentieth century.
Stained glass workshop founded in Linnich, Germany, by Dr. Heinrich Oidtnann (1838-1890) in 1857 and carried on by successive family members. The company had branches in Berlin and Brüssels in the late 19th century and the company is still in operation at Linnich, Germany. See: http://www.glasmalerei-oidtmann.de
Orval: Jean (John) Orval
Smyrk & Rogers – Rogers & Co, Rogers & Hughes.
In business in Melbourne between c.1880-1888 as Smyrk & Rogers.
Herbert Moesbury Smyrk officially dissolved his partnership with Charles Rogers as “Smyrk & Rogers” on the 14th September 1888 and the company name then became Rogers & Co under Charles Rogers.
In later years H. M. Smyrk freelanced in stained glass design and had other established firms such as Ferguson & Urie and E. F. Troy of Adelaide execute his designs.
Also see: SMYRK & ROGERS – The Stained Glass Encyclopedia Project by Dr. Bronwyn Hughes (accessed 20170806)
Shrigley & Hunt.
Suffling: Ernest Richard Suffling (E. R. Suffling) (1855-1911)
Sumner, Alan (1911-1994)
Alan Sumner, worked at E. L. Yencken & Co from the age of 15 under artist William ‘Jock’ Jock Frater before assuming Fraters role 15 years later and eventually setting up his own studio. He was the most prolific post war stained-glass artists and his largest cycle works are the windows of the Blessed Oliver Plunkett’s Church at Pascoe Vale. There are also examples of his work overseas, which include his Governor Latrobe window in Chappele de L’Ermitage, in the provincial city of Neuchatel in Switzerland. Other works can be found all over Australia, predominantly in Melbourne and suburbs. His artistic style is unique and recognisable and usually has his name and year on the window(s)
Biography: Mervyn Napier Waller (1893–1972)
Art work & Original designs at the NGV: http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/col/artist/4510
Art work & Original designs at the NGV: http://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/col/artist/3988
Wailes: William Wailes, England:
Wilmshurst: Thomas Wilmshurst:
Thomas Wilmshurst, born in Clerkenwell (1806/07-1880) and owned glass works off the Hampstead Road London in 1839, moving around 1843 to 13 Foley Place London. In 1851 he described himself as an artist in stained glass. A stained glass designer, whose pictorial idiom was at odds with the mediaeval style favoured by artists such as A W N Pugin. In 1844 he worked with de la Roche of Paris and between 1852 and 1855 was in partnership with Francis Oliphant (1818-59), who had been employed by J Hardman and Co whilst Pugin was associated with them and wrote about stained glass. In 1858 Wilmshurst moved to 58 Gower Street, but around 1861 he closed the business and died in Horsham.
Source: John Allen – Sussex Parish Churches
ZETTLER: Franz Xavier Zettler:
Additional Sources: The Victorian Web. Artists and Designers
Short link to this page: http://wp.me/P2yCYO-13